Saturday, July 30, 2011

this one

and the daughter of creation, of creator,
of the name her begrudging husband prayed to,
became a coin exchanged for labor.

this one,
her father said.

leah wanted
to be loved by her husband, probably
wanted her father to give a shit, too.

the tent closed itself around her
and she was held and loved
for the one night she
was mistaken for another.

leah wanted
to be loved, and became
instead a punishment. became a mother
to lesser children, lesser because hers.

finish with
this one, her father said.


When I was in college I spent a quarter defending what seemed to me the right of men to exist at all. It was a feminist theory class, and as the only outspoken and happily hetero woman there, I took a beating. I should mention that I am well aware of the great many lesbians who do not hate men. However, my introduction to their world was blatantly anti-male. I am and always have been exuberantly pro-male (perhaps too exuberantly at times), and the inability of anyone to not find men perfectly, heart-breakingly beautiful struck me at the time as willful and in defiance of the evidence.

Which is all to say, I came from a somewhat naively loving attitude towards men.

I remain convinced of the need all humans have of one another, regardless of sexual specifics, and I probably also remain somewhat willful myself in my persistent adoration of men. But the story of Leah and Jacob only grows worse in my eyes as I get older. The very thought of a woman spending the majority of her life longing and praying for her own goddamn husband to love her, and being denied the gratification of such a simple wish, is gut-wrenching to me. And make no mistake: Leah's story in the chapters skipped over by the liturgy is nothing short of tragic.

I have no concrete reason for thinking that the creators of the lectionary skipped over the most painful parts of Leah's story intentionally. I do, however, find it somewhat disgusting that the next we hear of Jacob in the mass is from his glamorous "wrestling with God" moment. I might ask for a similar "begging of God" story for Leah. It is a plea which Jacob never deigns to answer.

I sometimes try harder to find some redemption in a woman's story - a glimmer of hope, a perspective that shows she was not as powerless as she might appear at first glance - but in Leah's case, I would be lying to my own heart. Jacob and Laban behave reprehensibly towards a woman who was placed by God into their care. I can only pray that I never treat any one of God's creatures in such a manner.

3 comments:

  1. 'yahweh saw that leah was neglected, so he opened her womb, while rachel remained barren. . . . again she conceived and gave birth to a son, saying, this time i will give glory to yahweh; accordingly she named him judah.' (gen 29:31, 34 jb)
    and it was from the line of judah that the messiah was born. the writers of the holy texts have a profound sense of irony, it seems.

    and the revision of the lectionary is now firmly in the hands of those women from your feminist theory class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. even as a kid, this story always struck me as impossibly sad.

    was this the Feminist Film Theory class we were in? As a straight male in that class it was sometimes awkward, but at times I felt more sorry for any woman who would ever want to make, be involved with or simply enjoy film guilt free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Dale! Well, first of all, I have to thank you for reminding me that Christ came from Leah's line, not Rachel's. I had actually forgotten that. I think my concern more is over Leah's unhappiness. It's difficult for me to imagine that she wasn't hurt and disappointed at being so thoroughly rejected by Isaac. And really, the culprit to me seems to be Laban more than anyone. As for the lectionary...well, all I can say is that I would prefer for it not to be in said hands, but I am beginning to understand the anger that a lot of women feel.

    And Graham, yes, it was the Feminist Film Theory class we took together. And I completely agree with you. The shutting down of conversation through pure anger does just as much harm to the women in this case as to the men.

    ReplyDelete